Chicken Spinach And Tomato Lasagne
A wonderful dish for all the family. Make a couple of these when hungry teenagers are at home! I’ve cheated with the white sauce and made a creamy sauce for the filling instead. There are fewer layers than a traditional lasagne but it’s still creamy and delicious. Soaking the lasagne sheets in water first ensures they will be cooked and tender.
SERVES 6 – 8
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/180°C Fan/Gas 6. You will need a shallow 1.8 litre (3¼ pint) ovenproof dish.
- To make the chicken, mushroom and spinach mixture, place the oil in a frying pan over a high heat. Add the chicken pieces and fry quickly until golden but not cooked.
- Add the chilli, garlic and mushrooms and fry for a few moments. Add the spinach and stir until wilted.
- Measure the cornflour into a small bowl and stir in 2 tablespoons of water until smooth.
- Add the crème fraîche and parsley to the pan with the chicken and stir. Pour in the cornflour mixture and stir until thickened. Set aside.
- To make the tomato and herb sauce, combine the tomatoes, sun-dried tomato paste and thyme in a bowl.
Season well with salt and freshly ground black pepper and mix well.
- Soak the lasagne sheets in a shallow dish filled with boiling water for a few minutes until soft.
- Spoon a third of the chicken mixture into the oven dish. Spoon a third of the tomato sauce over the chicken.
- Arrange three lasagne sheets on top. Repeat the layers again. Finish with a final layer of chicken mixture and tomato sauce, making three layers of chicken mixture, three layers of tomato sauce and two layers of lasagne sheets. Sprinkle the top with the grated Cheddar and bake in the preheated oven for 35–40 minutes, until golden brown and cooked through.
- Serve with salad or green vegetables
- Can be made and assembled up to 6 hours ahead
- Freezes well uncooked
This recipe is taken from: Cook and Share