Double Cheese Soufflé
499 CALS PER SERVING
- Melt 30 g (1 oz) butter in a large pan, add the flour, and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Remove from the heat, gradually blend in the milk, then bring to a boil, stirring, until thickened. Add the nutmeg, season with salt, and stir in a pinch of cayenne pepper.
- Cool for 10 minutes.
- Prepare the soufflé dishes (see box, below).
- Beat the egg yolks and add to the cooled sauce with the grated Gruyère cheese and chives
- Whisk the egg whites until they form firm but not dry peaks. Fold 1–2 tbsp of the egg whites into the cheese mixture, then fold in the remaining egg whites.
- Pour the mixture into the soufflé dishes. Bake the soufflés in the top half of a preheated oven at 180°C (160°C fan, Gas 4) for 30 minutes.
- Once cool, remove the soufflés from the soufflé dishes and sit the correct way up in an ovenproof dish.
- Pour the double cream around the soufflés, sprinkle with the parmesan and return to the oven for 8 to 10 minutes.
- Once bubbling scatter with chives and serve at once.
Preparing the soufflé dishes
Butter the bottoms and sides of the soufflé dishes. Sprinkle with a thin layer of grated Parmesan cheese.
This recipe is taken from: Complete Cookbook