The ultimate chocolate roulade
In the past I have always covered the baked roulade with a damp tea towel and left it overnight. Now I find there is no need to do this.
SERVES 8 - 1
Preheat the oven to 180C/fan 160C/gas 4. Lightly grease a 33cm x 23cm swiss-roll tin and line with nonstick baking parchment, pushing it into the corners.
- Break the chocolate into small pieces over a bowl and stand the bowl over a pan of hot water; the bowl must not touch the water or the chocolate may overheat. Place the pan over a low heat until the chocolate has melted.
- Measure the sugar and egg yolks into a large bowl and whisk with an electric whisk until light and creamy. Add the cooled chocolate and stir until evenly blended.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the egg whites until stiff but not dry. Stir a large spoonful of the egg whites into the chocolate mixture. Mix gently, then fold in the remaining egg whites and the sieved cocoa powder. Spread evenly in the prepared tin. Bake in the preheated oven for about 20 minutes until firm.
- Remove the cake from the oven, leave in the tin, cover with a dry tea towel and leave until cold.
- Whip the cream until it just holds its shape and dust a large piece of greaseproof paper with sifted icing sugar. Turn out the roulade and peel off the paper. Spread with the cream. Score a mark 2.5cm in along the short edge, then roll up very tightly like a swiss roll, using the paper to help. Do not worry when the roulade cracks – a good one should! Dust with more sifted icing sugar to serve.
IN THE AGA - Place on the grid shelf on the floor of the roasting oven with the cold plain shelf on the second set of runners. Bake for about 20 minutes, turning after 12 minutes.
PREPARING AHEAD - Complete the roulade but without the final dusting of icing sugar up to 24 hours ahead, cover and keep in the fridge. Or you could freeze the roulade, again without the final dusting of icing sugar, for up to 1 month.
This recipe is taken from: Baking Bible (BBC Books)
- 175g plain chocolate, such as Bourneville
- 175g caster sugar
- 6 large eggs, separated
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder, sifted
- 300ml double cream icing sugar