Pea and Mint Soup
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan over a high heat. Add the onion and fry for about 5 minutes, stirring. Add the peas and fry for a further couple of minutes. Pour in the stock and bring to the boil.
- Remove the leaves from the mint stalks and set them aside. Add the stalks to the pan and bring back to the boil. Cover and simmer for about s-8 minutes, or until the peas are tender.
- Stir in the mint jelly, remove and discard the mint stalks and stir in the mint leaves. Spoon into a processor and whiz until smooth.
- Return to the pan, season with salt and pepper and serve hot or cold, garnished with a swirl of crème fraiche, and some crusty bread.
TO PREPARE AHEAD: Can be made up to a day ahead and reheated in a pan. Freezes well.
TO COOK IN THE AGA: Cook on the boiling plate (not in the simmering oven otherwise the peas will lose their colour).
This recipe is taken from: Mary Berry's Family Sunday Lunches
- 100g (4oz) butter
- 1 large onion, roughly chopped
- 1kg (2lb 4 oz) frozen petit pois
- 850ml (1 ½ pints) hot chicken or vegetable stock
- a large bunch of fresh mint
- 1-2 tbsp mint jelly
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- a little crème fraiche, to serve