Ginger spiced pudding
Delicious served cold as a cake without a toffee sauce or warm as a pudding, as below. I prefer it warm with the sauce, and like to serve slices of fresh mango with it, too.
- Preheat the oven to 180C/fan 160C/gas 4.and generously butter a 1kg loaf tin and dust with light muscovado sugar.
- Measure all the dry ingredients, except for the sugar, into a large bowl. In a separate bowl mix the sugar, egg, treacle, milk and melted butter together and beat until smooth.
- Stir the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and beat hard for a minute until smooth. Pour into the loaf tin (it will only part-fill the tin).
- Bake in the preheated oven for about.
- 35 minutes until dark in colour, shrinking away from the sides of the tin and springy to the touch. Cover loosely with foil if getting too dark.
- Arrange slices of mango on a plate and sit a slice of ginger pudding on top. Serve warm with warm toffee sauce.
TO SERVE - 1 mango, cut into thin slices 1 recipe toffee sauce, see below for link.
TIP - we also tested this recipe using self-raising flour and no bicarbonate of soda. It worked well but we preferred the sticky texture with bicarbonate of soda. The loaf will be very shallow – when we cooked it in a 450g loaf tin, it overflowed.
AGA - put the small grill rack upside down in a small roasting tin. Sit the loaf tin on top and slide on to the grid shelf on the floor of the roasting oven with the cold plain shelf on the second set of runners for 25-30 minutes.
This recipe is taken from: Real Food Fast (Headline)
- 50g butter, melted, plus extra for greasing
- 100g light muscovado sugar
- plus extra for dusting
- 100g plain flour
- ½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- ¼ tsp freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 75g black treacle
- 125ml milk