Gammon with a ginger glaze
We prefer to cook a whole joint in the oven rather than boiling it on top as we think it shrinks less. If you do not have a pan which will fit in the oven you can simmer it, covered, on the hob for the same timings
SERVES 20 AS PART OF A BUFFET MEAL
- Preheat the oven to 160C/fan 140C/gas 3.
- Place the gammon snugly in a pan. Completely cover with ginger beer, topping the pan up with water if the ginger beer doesn’t cover the top of the gammon. Bring the pan up to the boil, cover and transfer to the preheated oven for about 1 hour 40 minutes (20 minutes per 500g plus 20 minutes over).
- Remove the gammon from the oven and leave to cool in the pan until it is just warm. Increase the oven temperature to 220C/fan 200C/gas 7 and line a small roasting tin with foil.
- Remove the skin from the gammon while still warm so you are left with only a thin layer of fat. Score the fat using a sharp knife.
- Mix the chopped stem ginger, ground ginger and 3 tbsp of the ginger syrup from the stem ginger jar in a small bowl. Spread over the top of the gammon.
- Put the gammon into the prepared tin and pull up the sides of the foil to cover the lean end of the gammon.
- Roast in the preheated oven for 15-20 minutes until golden brown on top.
PREPARING AHEAD - The gammon can be cooked and glazed up to 3 days ahead to serve cold. To serve hot, the gammon can be cooked and skinned 3 days ahead then glazed and reheated in a hot oven to serve.
AGA - Bring the pan to the boil and simmer for 5 minutes, cover and transfer to the simmering oven for about 90 minutes until tender. Spread the glaze over the gammon and slide on to the lowest set of runners in the roasting oven for about 20 minutes, or until golden.
This recipe is from: Family Sunday Lunches (Headline)