Chicken Breasts with Leek, Potatoes and Thyme
This is a prepare-ahead dish, perfect for all the family.
- You will need a 2.3 litre (4 pint) ovenproof dish, buttered.
Put the potatoes into a pan, cover with cold water, add salt and bring to the boil on the Boiling Plate. Boil for 12 minutes, then add the leeks to the water and boil for a further 3 minutes or until the potatoes are just tender. Drain in a colander.
- Season the chicken with salt and pepper. Heat the oil in a large frying pan on the Boiling Plate. Add the chicken and drizzle with honey. Quickly brown the chicken for a few minutes on each side until golden. Remove with a slotted spoon and set aside.
- Add the butter to the unwashed frying pan. Add the onion and garlic and fry on the Boiling Plate for a minute. Cover with a lid and transfer to the Simmering Oven for 10 minutes. Remove the lid, return to the Boiling Plate and fry for a minute. Sprinkle in the flour, stir in the apple juice and mix until smooth. Add the crème fraîche and thyme and season with salt and pepper. Stir until thickened and bring to the boil.
- Remove from the heat, add the leeks and potatoes and stir to mix. Tip into the dish and sit the chicken on top. Cover with foil and seal the edges.
- Bake on the grid shelf on the floor of the Roasting Oven for 20 minutes. Remove the foil and cook for a further 8–10 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through.
- Sprinkle with the parsley and serve with a green vegetable.
PREPARE AHEAD - Can be made up to a day ahead. Freezes well without the potato for up to 2 months.
CONVENTIONAL OVEN - Bake in an oven preheated to 200˚C/Fan 180˚C/Gas 6 for up to 25 minutes. Remove the foil and cook for a further 10 minutes.
This recipe is taken from: The Complete Aga Cookbook