Prawn cocktail with avocado
A classic 70s recipe but with the addition of avocado – it deserves a comeback!
- To make the sauce, mix all the ingredients together in a bowl and season with salt and pepper. Stir in the peeled prawns.
- Peel the avocados and cut into small dice, toss in the lemon juice and season with pepper.
- Divide the lettuce between 6 glasses and arrange the avocado on top. Spoon the prawn mixture over the top and garnish each glass with a large prawn.
- Serve with a small lemon wedge and brown bread and butter.
PREPARING AHEAD - The sauce can be made up to 3 days ahead. The dish can be assembled up to 4 hours ahead. Not suitable for freezing.
This recipe is taken from: Mary Berry & Lucy Young Cook Up A Feast (Dorling Kindersley)
- 300g cooked peeled North Atlantic prawns, drained and dried
- 2 ripe medium avocados
- juice of 1 lemon
- 1 x 85g bag mixed lettuce leaves
- 6 large shell-on cooked king prawns
- 1 lemon cut into 6 wedges
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 8 tbsp light mayonnaise
- 4 tbsp crème fraîche
- 6 tbsp ketchup
- 2 tbsp creamed horseradish
- 1½ tsp tomato purée
- juice of ½ lemon
- a dash of sugar