Pear and Ginger pavlova
This looks so pretty. The pomegrante seeds are like little gems and pear and ginger is one of our all time favourite dessert combinations.
Serves 6 generously
- Pre heat the oven to 160C/140Fan/Gas 3. You will need a baking sheet with parchment paper and draw a long rectangle shape on the paper measuring about 30cm x 12cm (12 x 5 in).
- To make the pavlova - whisk the egg whites with an electric mixer until looks like cloud. Gradually add the caster sugar a little at a time, still whisking on maximum speed until stiff and glossy. Mix the cornflour and vinegar in a cup until smooth and stir into the meringue mixture.
- Spread the pavlova out to make the rectangle shape using a knife. Build up the sides so they are higher than the centre to create a large well.
- Slide the meringue into the oven then reduce the temperature to 150 fan/130/Gas 2 and bake for 1 hour. Turn the oven off and leave in the oven for a further hour to dry out. (In an AGA oven, bake in the simmering oven for about 1-1 ½ hours.)
- To make the filling – peel the pears, remove the cores and cut the flesh into short chunky slices. Measure the sugar and lemon juice into a small pan, add pears and barely cover with water from the tap.
- Simmer the pears gently over a low heat for about 10 minutes until just tender, leave in the liquid until needed.
- Drain the pears, reserve a few pieces for decoration and stir the remainder into the whipped cream with the ginger.
- Arrange the pavlova onto a serving plate, spoon the cream into the pavlova and garnish with the reserved pears. Cut the pomegranates in half, remove the seeds and sprinkle over the top.
Serve at room temperature.
PREPARING AHEAD - The pavlova can be made up to the end of step 3 up to a month ahead and kept in a dry cool place. The pears can be poached up to eight hours ahead. The pavlova can be assembled up to four hours ahead, decorate with the reserved pears and pomegranate just before serving. The cooked pavlova (unfilled) freezes well.
- 3 egg whites
- 175g (6oz) caster sugar
- 1 level teaspoon cornflour
- 1 teaspoon white wine vinegar
- 5 fairly ripe pears
- juice of ½ a lemon
- 50g (2oz) caster sugar
- 6-8 bulbs of stem ginger from a jar, chopped coarsely
- 300ml (1/2 pint) double cream, whipped
- 1 small pomegranate