Lemon meringue ice cream with lemon balm
Lemon balm gives a gentle citrus tang to this impressive but easy ice cream. Try serving it with a raspberry coulis or summer berries.
- Line a 450g/1lb loaf tin with clingfilm, overlapping the sides. Whisk the cream lightly until the whisk leaves a trail, add the lemon zest and juice and half the jar of lemon curd then fold in the meringue and chopped lemon balm.
- Spoon the mixture into the loaf tin, cover with clingfilm and freeze for at least six hours.
- If the ice cream has been freezing overnight or longer, remove it from the freezer for 10-15 minutes before turning onto a plate. Lift the ice cream from the loaf tin, invert it onto a board and remove the clingfilm. Dip a sharp knife in boiling water and cut the ice cream into thick slices.
- Mix the other half of the lemon curd with the pulp and seeds from the passion fruit. Place a slice of ice cream on a plate and top with a spoonful of the passionfruit sauce. Decorate with sprigs of lemon balm.
This recipe is from: One Step Ahead (Quadrille)
- 300ml/½ pint double cream
- 1 lemon, zest and juice
- 1 jar good quality lemon curd
- 50g/1¾oz meringues, broken into chunky pieces
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh lemon balm
- 3 passionfruit, halved, pulp and seeds scooped out
- sprigs of lemon balm, to garnish