Lemon and thyme pork stuffing
This is a favorite family recipe, served every Christmas for as long as I can remember. This is the stuffing for the neck end of the turkey: do not put a meat stuffing in the body cavity of a bird. The quantities below make sufficient to stuff a 7.2kg-8.1kg turkey in the neck end. For my traditional turkey (see below), make half the recipe.
- Melt the butter in a saucepan, add the onion and cook gently until soft, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in the remaining ingredients and mix well together. Cool before stuffing the turkey.
- This is now ready to stuff the neck end of the bird.
TIP - Breadcrumbs are often used in recipes over Christmas. Some time in advance, whiz a whole loaf to breadcrumbs in the processor and keep in the freezer. You will then have them at the ready, and they defrost in minutes.
PREPARING AHEAD - Make the day before and use to stuff the neck end of the bird, providing it will fit in the fridge. The stuffing can also be made and frozen for up to a month in advance.
IN THE AGA - Cook the onion, covered, in the simmering oven for about 15 minutes until soft.
This recipe is taken from: Christmas Collection (Headline)
- 5g butter
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 450g pork sausage meat
- 50g fresh white breadcrumbs
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- finely grated zest and juice of ½ large lemon
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- leaves from 3 sprigs fresh thyme